Sunday, October 12, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

I like Thanksgiving. I really like Thanksgiving. It's the perfect holiday. It is non-secular, non-religious, non-anything. It really should be world-wide. There's no fighting over nativity scenes and "put Christ back in Christmas". The Mayflower aspect of it is immaterial now, really.
It's not overly commercial but it still has its traditions. Best of all, it probably has the easiest and most universal message. No matter who or where you are, there is much to be thankful for - it's all relative. It's definitely a "stop and smell the roses" (or in my locale, stop and smell the fallen leaves) kind of holiday. It makes you think.

I have family, friends and acquaintances - old and new. I might not like my job but they pay me well enough. My health is good. I have a nice car and nice house. Two delightfully insane cats. The air is clean, the water is clean and I live in a part of the world that people pay to come and visit. My family taught me a real appreciation of nature and animals, of music, of good food, of knowledge.

I could go on and on, lol, but some days you know what I'm most thankful for? A decent working computer and high-speed internet.

No comments: